It’s safe to say that
Serena Williams is winning. She won her first match at Indian Wells earlier this week (only to be bested by her sister, Venus, in the end, but it’s all good). She’s definitely winning at motherhood — have you seen her adorable daughter? — and now, after years in the spotlight, she’s still winning the red carpet beauty game.
TMZ reports that the tennis star filed to trademark the name Aneres, which could potentially be a beauty line. Given Williams’ love of big hair, pretty lipstick, and dope manicures on and off the court, we have a feeling that it’s going to be good. While we’re waiting (with baited breath) on more news — and hopefully product details — let’s take a look at Williams’ tried and true beauty go-tos.
Read these stories next: Serena Williams Just Served Up The Coolest Ponytail — & We Have All The Details 2018’s First Hair Color Trend Has Arrived — But It’s Far From New 10 Times Serena Williams Won The Beauty Game
1. Power Ponytails When you’re winning titles and making history, you’re probably a little too busy to make a fuss about your hair. Which is probably why we’ve seen Williams in her fair share of updos on and off the court… including this gilded, segmented ‘do that was created by Vernon François.
“Serena’s Versace dress was the inspiration for this hairstyle,”
he told us. “With the gold detail and padded shoulders, the look needed to give face, so I was like, ‘ Ponytail it is!’ Snatching her hair up, away from the face, like this works well because it emphasizes the features.”
2. Pink Lips You can always count on Williams to give you a pretty-in-pink pout, whether she’s on the carpet or playing around with Instagram filters. It’s been reported by Blaq Vixen Beauty that one of her go-tos is Smashbox Lipstick in Splendid with Sephora Collection Lip Gloss in In the Buff, which looks exactly like the look she’s wearing here.
3. Rosy Blush Sir John (who created Williams’ Met Gala 2017 look) told us that a little bit of well-placed blush is all you need to make your face come alive. Williams consistently relies on this trick to bring life to her visage, typically choosing a deep pink shade worn on the apples of her cheeks. Tip: Glossier’s Cloud Paint in Haze is a brown-girl friendly pick that goes on so easy and creamy, you don’t even need a brush to bend it.
4. Big, Beautiful Brows Come on, now… you know we couldn’t do a Serena Williams beauty slideshow without calling out her impressive arches. Sis has a mean eyebrow game, and doesn’t care what the haters think. “I let them grow out,” she told . “I went a year without touching them, so everyone was making fun of me, because I wanted them to grow out like crazy. So I literally didn’t touch them for a year, and I was totally okay with it.” Her secret? Conditioner and tea tree oil. People Style Photo: Via @serenawilliams.
5. A World Of Curls Fearless women don’t shrink back when it comes to their glam — they go big or go home. Williams loves to turn up the volume with her curls, and often wears extensions that match her naturally curly texture. Tip: If you heat style, try creating a really tight curl pattern, then use a Denman brush to loosen it afterwards. See a tutorial here. Photo: Via @Serenawilliams.
Like this post? There’s more. Get tons of beauty tips, tutorials, and news on the
Refinery29 Beauty Facebook page. Like us on Facebook — we’ll see you there!
Like what you see? How about some more R29 goodness, right here?
Why You Should Think Twice Before Getting An "Engagement Piercing"
Meghan Markle's New Hair Color Is Subtle, But So On-Trend
6 Hairstyles That Beyoncé Always Wears On Tour